YouTube was Launched in May 2005, YouTube allows billions of people to discover, watch and share originally-created videos. It provides a forum for people to connect, inform and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers large and small.
YouTube is also part of the very established company Google.
Some Interesting Statistics
- YouTube has more than 1 billion users
- Every day, people watch hundreds of millions of hours on YouTube and generate billions of views
- The number of hours people are watching on YouTube each month is up 50% year on year
- 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- ~60% of a creator’s views come from outside their home country
- YouTube is localised in 75 countries and available in 61 languages
- Half of YouTube views are on mobile devices
- Mobile revenue on YouTube is up over 100% y/y
- More than a million advertisers are using Google ad platforms; the majority of these advertisers are small businesses
- 85% of our TrueView in-stream ads are skippable
Youtube is headquartered in San Bruno, California. The service was created by three former PayPal employees. In November 2006, it was bought by Google for US$1.65 billion. YouTube now operates as one of Google’s subsidiaries. The site allows users to upload, view, and share videos, and it makes use of Adobe Flash Video and HTML5 technology to display a wide variety of user-generated and corporate media video. Available content includes video clips, TV clips, music videos, and other content such as video blogging, short original videos, and educational videos.
Most of the content on YouTube has been uploaded by individuals, but media corporations including CBS, the BBC, Vevo, Hulu, and other organisations offer some of their material via YouTube, as part of the YouTube partnership program. Unregistered users can watch videos, and registered users can upload videos to their channels. Videos considered to contain potentially offensive content are available only to registered users affirming themselves to be at least 18 years old.